Wednesday, July 15, 2009

small press festival and more

First and foremost there is a wonderful literary event - a small press festival - coming up here in Pittsburgh this weekend. It promises to be one of the most awesome Pittsburgh literary events of the year -- there's to be a bookfair, panels (which I am on one of), a workshop being run by Laura and myself, and events all throughout this month. If you're in the area you should stop on by! It's only $5.00 for panels and workshops and the bookfair is free.

I've begun to slowly, hesitantly send out my chapbook to a couple of presses. I'm very nervous and the amount of email checking that has been going on here is obscene. I like my manuscript and I really feel it works well as a unit. Now I just have to hope that an editor agrees with me.

My husband is going on retreat for the month of August and I'm not looking forward to it. He's a huge help with my son, he makes me food and coffee in the morning, he takes care of me when I've had a really bad day at work, he helps me not despair over things, and he's generally just nice to have around. I'm really really really going to miss him. Is that selfish? He says this is important to him so I'm trying to have an open mind about it, but it really makes me sad to think of him being gone for 6 out of 7 days of the week. I'll survive of course, but I'll be glad when he's home for more than one day out of the week. I'll miss him.

I've been writing a bit lately. Had a very nice workshop this weekend with Crystal, Renee and Laura. I think I've started a new poem. I hope I have.

3 comments:

marybid said...

Can't wait to see you this weekend. Hugs!

sarah said...

If you'd like to do anything while your husband is gone, please let me know. I have more free time now (though of course I'm supposed to be writing, I know I am). And I'd like to see you and Ben.

And good luck with the chapbook submissions. I understand how completely horrible it is to be constantly checking email. That is why my last short story submitting spree was done by snail mail. Ha.

Margaret Bashaar said...

Sarah, we should definitely get together while Mihnea is away! We should email and plan something.